Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Word of the day

If James Lipton was asking me what my favorite word is, none of these are it; however, I think we should show the following words a little love.

Callipygian. Adjective, having shapely buttocks. There’s a word to describe a badonkadonk? Really? Why hasn’t Lil Jon incorporated this into a rap song? Couldn’t they incorporate the word play between callipygian (pronounced like pigeon) and chicken head? I demand some sort of investigation into this.

Underwhelming. Do you even realize that this is a word in the English lexicon? Someone in my office said, “That’s completely underwhelming.” I actually giggled....errr, laughed a hearty manly chuckle. For some reason, it sounded hilarious. As if they coined a new word. It’s a real word, people. Who knew? Can you honestly say that you’ve used underwhelming? Compare that to the number of times you’ve used or heard someone say “I’m overwhelmed.” The disparity is, well, overwhelming. Underwhelming is the Ashlee Simpson of the English vocabulary....compared to Jessica’s overwhelming…talents?

No comments: